EMPLOYMENT AT TAMPA BAY WATCH
Special Events Coordinator
The Special Events Coordinator oversees Tampa Bay Watch’s major fundraising special events, including existing annual events like Bay Life Art Exhibition, Tarpon Rodeo & Castaway Soiree, and Evening for the Bay. Additional responsibilities will be overseeing new and/or 3rd Party events that benefit Tampa Bay Watch. In the process, will cultivate and steward new and current donors and vendors to create awareness about Tampa Bay Watch and instigate additional financial and in kind donations for special events.
• Take lead role Tampa Bay Watch marquee special events to include Bay Life Art Exhibition, Tarpon Rodeo & Castaway Soiree, and Evening for the Bay.
• Oversee committees, create themes, work with graphic designer, secure auction items and in-kind donations, create task lists, work with volunteers, and communicate with supervisor and staff.
• Take lead role for new and/or 3rd Party Events which benefit Tampa Bay Watch to include Savor the Bay, Girls Night to Give, and Pop Up events.
• Work closely with Development Support Specialist to ensure accuracy and timeliness of direct mail save the dates, guest lists, spreadsheets, bid sheets, letters, and donor updates.
• Create and maintain each special events' budget and track income and expenses in order to stay within budget and maximize income for each event.
• Secure new and retain existing sponsors and corporate support for marquee events through continuous stewardship and cultivation throughout the year. Seek to provide mutually beneficial relationships.
• Solicit auction items on an ongoing basis throughout the year.
• Work directly with vendors to create an ongoing partnership, foster relationships, and obtain discount opportunities and/or in-kind donations.
• Partner with Communications Manager to plan out marketing strategies for each event including internally generated outlets such as eNewsletters, eBlasts, and social media and for outside media and editorial communications.
• Coordinate with Communications Manager regarding volunteer needs for each event.
• Assist restoration and education departments in obtaining food and beverage in-kind donations for Volunteer Appreciation, Ice Cream Social, and Scallop Search events.
• Continue sustainability friendly methods for all Tampa Bay Watch driven events and third party events benefiting Tampa Bay Watch.
• Provide team support for both the Development staff and the entire organization.
• Provide status updates to Development Director and President regarding special events.
• Attend staff/organization meetings, fundraising workshops, and webinars and networking events.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Education and Skills Required:
• Genuine passion for Tampa Bay Watch’s mission of environmental restoration and education.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills to be used in building relationships with a wide variety of donors via email and letter correspondence, telephone contact, and in person meetings.
• Driven to create a great guest experience and achieve fundraising financial goals for each event.
• Skilled at managing a multitude of details for events, superior organizational skills, and ability to meet deadlines.
• Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and autonomously.
• Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word and Excel) and Google Drive and previous experience using donor database systems.
• Ability to work with both independently with limited supervision and successfully within a team.
• Superior individual initiative and creativity, analytical and organizational skills, and the ability to meet deadlines consistently.
• Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
Bachelor’s Degree in Business Admin or Marketing preferred, with 1-2 years minimum career experience in an event planning/fundraising position.
Exceptional Candidates will have some or all of the following proficiencies:
• Career experience working in special events.
• Experience working in non-profit fundraising
• Proficiency in donor database software to include e-Tapestry and Blackbaud.
Based upon experience. Health insurance, life insurance, and retirement savings programs are available to full-time employees.
No phone calls please
Please email or mail a detailed cover letter and resume to:
Tampa Bay Watch, Inc.
3000 Pinellas Bayway South
Tierra Verde FL 33715
Responsible for the fundraising and communication programs for Tampa Bay Watch. Activities include participation in all aspects of the gift cycle, expansion of fundraising capacity, management of donor relations, cultivating current and soliciting new donors, members, and major gifts in addition to creating timely and effective stewardship.
• Serve as the chief development officer for the organization with emphasis on face-to-face visits to secure funding and through donor identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
• Personally manage a portfolio of the majority of the organizations top prospects, developing and implementing plans for cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of these prospects; maintain a strict personal visit goal of at least 15 face-to-face visits per month with $1,000 plus prospects and donors.
• Develop vision for the fundraising programs (corporate partners, foundations, Guardians, membership, special events, majors and planned giving, etc.) through goal setting and key metrics that drive immediate and sustainable fundraising performance, and regularly assess and communicate progress.
• Manage a 4-person development team and provide leadership and support in areas of direct fundraising, communication, membership and special events and other external relations programs in line with the mission at Tampa Bay Watch.
• Take the lead and work with the President in securing the capital campaign funding (already in progress) for the new Tampa Bay Watch Discovery Center. Support all external relations efforts relating to its grand opening (scheduled for February 2020) and ongoing operation.
• Build a robust planned giving program, with emphasis on bequest intentions, through the identification, marketing and solicitation of key prospects aimed to sustain Tampa Bay Watch in perpetuity.
• Identify, manage, and make donor cultivation and solicitation moves for the President, Board of Directors, Director of Education and Director of Restoration.
• Use considerable creativity and imagination in identifying and implementing new programs to dramatically increase membership and overall giving at Tampa Bay Watch.
• Represent Tampa Bay Watch at numerous special events in the community in order to cultivate future and steward current donors.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the President.
Knowledge, Education and Skills Required:
The Director of Development position requires a Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of five years of fundraising experience or related field. Must be a team player and self-starter with a record of building relationships and closing gifts or sales. The right candidate should be an excellent communicator and writer with computer experience and a working knowledge of donor databases, preferably eTapestry. Must be willing to work nights and weekends. Familiarity with coastal ecosystems is extremely helpful but not required. A passion for the environment highly desired.
Please, no phone calls.
Send or email a detailed cover letter and resume to:
Tampa Bay Watch, Inc.
3000 Pinellas Bayway South
Tierra Verde, FL 33715
Tampa Bay Watch Estuary EDventures Internship
Tampa Bay Watch seeks environmental education interns to assist the Estuary EDventures program with Tampa Bay area school field experiences and/or summer camps. Duties of successful applicants will include assisting in the implementation of Estuary EDventures program materials to local school groups and/or summer camps, assisting in service-learning habitat restoration projects, maintenance of educational materials and aquarium exhibits, and assistance with basic administrative duties.
• Seeking or have completed a degree in environmental studies/science, biology, or marine biology.
• Reliable, responsible, take initiative, and act in a professional and appropriate manner at all times.
• Comfortable in and around the water, handling marine animals, able to lift up to 50 lbs. unassisted and capable of spending long hours in various conditions in the great Florida outdoors.
• Experience working with kids and/or aquarium exhibits a plus.
• Lifeguard and First Aid/CPR certifications are preferable.
Please review the schedule requirements below. Interested parties should send a completed resume and dates and times of availability to Jordan Findley.
Fall/Spring Internship Requirements:
Hours: Two weekdays, 9:00am – 2:00pm
Fall season: September – December (Send resume by: August 31)
Spring season: January – May (Send resume by: December 1)
Summer Internship Requirements:
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm
Summer season: June – August (Resumes accepted: February – May 1)
©TAMPA BAY WATCH, INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
3000 Pinellas Bayway South, Tierra Verde, FL 33715
Tel: 727-867-8166 | Fax: 727-867-8188
A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION FOR TAMPA BAY WATCH, INC. (CH4736) MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL-FREE (800-435-7352) WITHIN THE STATE OR BY VISITING WWW.FLORIDACONSUMERHELP.COM. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE.