MENU AND SOCIAL ICONS HERE.
EMPLOYMENT AT TAMPA BAY WATCH
Tampa Bay Watch Discovery Center
Department: Discovery Center
Reports to: Discovery Center, Executive Director
Location: St. Petersburg Pier and Office
FLSA Status: Exempt
Established in 1993, Tampa Bay Watch is a 501(C)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to the recovery and protection of the Tampa Bay estuary through scientific and educational programs.
Opening in the spring of 2020 on the new St. Pete Pier, the Tampa Bay Watch Discovery Center will offer interactive exhibits, aquariums, presentations and programs to engage and inspire the public to preserve Tampa Bay and the world’s oceans for current and future generations.
Under limited supervision of the Executive Director and with support from the TBW Education Director, the Education Coordinator will oversee all aspects of marine education and programs for guests, students and educators at the Discovery Center. The Education Coordinator will be responsible for facilitation of all field-trips, summer camps, citizen science projects, public programs, education outreach and teacher trainings, as well as directing care for the live plant and animal collection at the Discovery Center.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to perform these physical movements: stand for extended periods of time; use hands to operate, activate, prepare, inspect, place, detect, and position objects; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear; walk. The employee occasionally is required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and lift, push, and/or move displays and other objects weighing up to 50 pounds around the Discovery Center. The position may also include extended periods of time outside in all types of year round Florida weather and climate, as well as time spent on the water in our Eco-tour vessel.
This position works with the Executive Director to manage the daily programs and aquatic operations at the Center, supporting program staff and engaging the public, teachers and students as they learn more about the Tampa Bay estuary. Duties include:
• Understanding and actively managing environmental, health, safety and security responsibilities
• Planning and coordinating all educational programs including: field-trips, summer camps, citizen science projects, public programs, education outreach and teacher trainings
• Coordinating of field-trip programming including responding to reservation requests, answering questions, communication and coordination with educators, developing agendas, and facilitating field-trip programs and tracking
• Planning and coordinating public and summer programs, including: date selections, ordering supplies, performing website and marketing updates and managing registration
• Hiring, training, scheduling and managing education staff and interns
• With Operations Director and Aquarium Contractor, ensuring all animal and collection procedures are followed daily
• Managing program standards, updates, and enhancements. With staff, evaluating programs for accuracy and relevancy. Ensuring programs are age-relevant for participants. Tracking program and field-trip evaluations and developing and implementing strategies for improvement
• Overseeing and assisting with the development and implementation of new curricula and programs
• With Education Director, developing and facilitating teacher training workshops
• With Executive Director and Education Director, developing and implementing emergency protocol related to educational programs
• Identifying emerging department needs and creating departmental goals and objectives
• As directed, ordering and managing various inventories and supplies
• Assisting boat Captains with maintenance, operations, staff training, inspections and additional tasks regarding the classroom vessel
• Managing operational budgets
• Developing and maintaining positive relationships with schools, community groups/organizations, clubs and governmental agencies
• Maintaining a professional presence while performing duties
• Maintaining a positive attitude that fosters a fun and productive work environment
• Performing other duties as assigned
• Associates Degree or 5 years of related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience; Bachelor’s degree preferred
• Completion of a satisfactory DCF Level II Background Screening
• Experience with informal and formal teaching; environmental and marine science education preferred
• Experience with public speaking and audience management skills preferred
• Experience managing a small team in a high volume guest-focused environment
• Ability to handle confidential and financial information
• Demonstrated experience developing continuous improvement within an organization across all functions
• Strong written and verbal skills
• Computer literacy with MS Office Suite
• Ability to work weekends and holidays
Familiarity with coastal ecosystems is helpful but not required. A passion for the environment is highly desired. Salary is commensurate with level of experience. Health insurance, life insurance, and retirement savings programs are available to full-time employees.
Please, no phone calls - Mail or email a detailed cover letter and resume to: Resume@TampaBayWatch.org. If emailing, please enter a subject line of “Education Coordinator.” If mailing, please send to: ATTN: Human Resources, Tampa Bay Watch, Inc., 3000 Pinellas Bayway S., Tierra Verde FL 33715.
Special Events Coordinator
Tampa Bay Watch Marine and Education Center; Tierra Verde, FL
The Special Events Coordinator is responsible for developing, planning, analysis, budgeting, expense tracking, management, and evaluation of the Tampa Bay Watch’s fundraising events, including signature, third party and stewardship events. Signature events currently include Tarpon Rodeo & Castaway Soiree and Evening for the Bay. The Special Events Coordinator will also have oversight on stewardship events for or at the Discovery Center, projected opening spring 2020. In the process, he/she will cultivate and steward new and current donors and vendors to create awareness about Tampa Bay Watch and instigate additional financial and in-kind donations for special events. He/she will be TBW’s best practice leader in the field of special events, monitoring trends to ensure that the organization benefits from current/new knowledge, resources and techniques.
• Take leadership role in executing all Tampa Bay Watch special events to include but not limited to the Bay Life Art Exhibition, Tarpon Rodeo & Castaway Soiree, and Evening for the Bay.
• As Project Manager, oversee committees, create themes, work with graphic designer to develop collateral, ensure all appropriate web and social media communications, secure auction items and in-kind donations, create task lists, work with volunteers, communicate with supervisor and staff, and perform post-event evaluation.
• Take lead role for new and/or 3rd Party Events which benefit Tampa Bay Watch which may include Savor the Bay, Girls Night to Give, and Pop Up events.
• Work closely with Development Support Specialist to ensure accuracy and timeliness of direct mail save the dates and invitations, guest lists, spreadsheets, bid sheets, thank you letters, and donor updates.
• Create and maintain each special events' budget and track income and expenses in order to stay within the budget and maximize income for each event.
• Secure new and retain existing sponsors and corporate support for marquee events through continuous stewardship and cultivation throughout the year. Seek to provide mutually beneficial relationships.
• Solicit auction items on an ongoing basis throughout the year.
• Work directly with vendors to create an ongoing partnership, foster relationships, and obtain discount opportunities and/or in-kind donations.
• Partner with Communications Manager to plan out communications and marketing strategies for each event including external and internal placements such as eNewsletters, eBlasts, and other traditional and social media.
• Coordinate with Communications Manager regarding volunteer needs for each event.
• Assist Discovery Center, Restoration, and Education departments in obtaining food and beverage in-kind donations for program-related events such as Discovery Center Opening and subsequent stewardship activities, Volunteer Appreciation, Ice Cream Social, and restoration projects.
• Continue sustainability friendly methods for all Tampa Bay Watch driven events and third-party events benefiting Tampa Bay Watch.
• Provide team support for both the Development staff and the entire organization.
• Provide status updates to Development Director and all participating staff regarding special events.
• Attend staff/organization meetings, fundraising workshops, and webinars and networking events.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Education and Skills Required:
• Genuine passion for Tampa Bay Watch’s mission of environmental restoration and education.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills to be used in building relationships with a wide variety of donors via email and letter correspondence, telephone contact, and in person meetings.
• Driven to create a great guest experience and achieve fundraising financial goals for each event.
• Skilled at managing a multitude of details for multiple events, superior organizational skills, and ability to meet deadlines.
• Demonstrated ability to multi-task, work independently and as a team member, think creatively, and be a problem solver.
• Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word and Excel) and Google Drive and previous experience using donor database systems.
• Ability to work with both independently with limited supervision and successfully within a team.
• Superior individual initiative and creativity, analytical and organizational skills, and the ability to meet deadlines consistently.
• Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
Bachelor’s Degree in Business Admin or Marketing is preferred.
Exceptional Candidates will have some or all of the following proficiencies:
• 1-2 years of career experience managing and executing special events.
• Experience working in non-profit fundraising
• Proficiency and/or experience with donor database software
Reports to Development Director
Based upon experience. Health insurance, life insurance, and retirement savings programs are available to full-time employees.
No phone calls, please.
Please Email or mail a detailed cover letter and resume to: Resumes@tampabaywatch.org.
Tampa Bay Watch Estuary EDventures Internship
Tampa Bay Watch seeks environmental education interns to assist the Estuary EDventures program with Tampa Bay area school field experiences and/or summer camps. Duties of successful applicants will include assisting in the implementation of Estuary EDventures program materials to local school groups and/or summer camps, assisting in service-learning habitat restoration projects, maintenance of educational materials and aquarium exhibits, and assistance with basic administrative duties.
• Seeking or have completed a degree in environmental studies/science, biology, or marine biology.
• Reliable, responsible, take initiative, and act in a professional and appropriate manner at all times.
• Comfortable in and around the water, handling marine animals, able to lift up to 50 lbs. unassisted and capable of spending long hours in various conditions in the great Florida outdoors.
• Experience working with kids and/or aquarium exhibits a plus.
• Lifeguard and First Aid/CPR certifications are preferable.
Please review the schedule requirements below. Interested parties should send a completed resume and dates and times of availability to Jordan Findley.
Fall/Spring Internship Requirements:
Hours: Two weekdays, 9:00am – 2:00pm
Fall season: September – December (Send resume by: August 31)
Spring season: January – May (Send resume by: December 1)
Summer Internship Requirements:
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm
Summer season: June – August (Resumes accepted: February – May 1)
©TAMPA BAY WATCH, INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
3000 Pinellas Bayway South, Tierra Verde, FL 33715
Tel: 727-867-8166 | Fax: 727-867-8188
A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION FOR TAMPA BAY WATCH, INC. (CH4736) MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL-FREE (800-435-7352) WITHIN THE STATE OR BY VISITING WWW.FLORIDACONSUMERHELP.COM. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE.