Open positions at Tampa Bay Watch
Community Room Specialist
Tampa Bay Watch Marine Education Center, Tierra Verde, FL
Under the supervision of the Community Room Coordinator, the Community Room Specialist is responsible for management and operation of the facility during events. This includes ensuring a great guest experience for event participants and serving as the liaison for guests in the absence of the Coordinator.
- Provide tours of the Community Room and grounds to prospective clients during evenings and weekends.
- Opens the facility on time and closes the facility after an event.
- Oversees all aspects of the facility until event is completed, cleaned and all guest are off property.
- Provide and/or coordinate on-site support during events for wedding couples and be present to ensure Tampa Bay Watch event policies are followed.
- Ability to cover reception and events for Community Room Coordinator when needed.
- Manage any last minute needs/changes of community room clients and handle any emergencies that may arise during events. This includes changes/additions to hours as requested by the client.
- Oversee the tear down of room after the event is over and ensure all equipment and materials are all back in the proper place.
- Oversee community room equipment, tables, chairs, and tablecloths, including laundering of tablecloths. Make recommendations on when to replace due to wear and tear.
- Promote the mission of Tampa Bay Watch by encouraging environmental practices for all events held at the facility.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Education and Skills Required:
- Two years’ previous experience in event or wedding management highly preferred.
- Excellent organization, communication, and customer service skills.
- Ability to stand for extended time.
- Ability and desire to work a flexible schedule regularly includes evening and weekends
- Ability to stay on site at our facility as the sole TBW staff member until 11:30 pm
- A passion for the environment and familiarity with Tampa Bay Watch’s mission and projects also very helpful.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly is required to move, and talk or hear. The employee may be occasionally required to stand, walk for extended periods, and spend time in the FL outdoor heat during special events. The employee must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
Department: Discovery Center
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Location: St. Pete Pier, St. Petersburg, FL
FLSA Status: Exempt
Established in 1993, Tampa Bay Watch is a 501(C)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to the recovery and protection of the Tampa Bay estuary through scientific and educational programs. In July 2020, Tampa Bay Watch launched a 3,000 square foot environmental visitor exhibition and education center at the new St. Pete Pier, greatly expanding and enhancing the public’s awareness of the organization and the Tampa Bay estuary. The Tampa Bay Watch Discovery Center (the “Discovery Center”), which is open 363 days per year and expects annual attendance of approximately 100,000 visitors. Our audience consists of tourists and local residents visiting the St Pete Pier seeking leisure activities including dining, shopping, entertainment and fun.
The Discovery Center greatly enhances outreach opportunities to these new and diverse audiences. The Discovery Center will present a new public face for the Tampa Bay Watch organization that emphasizes public engagement, excitement, inspiration and motivation.
The Director is the senior executive of the Discovery Center and, as such, is responsible for the general and fiscal leadership and management of the department, including operations, programs, staff, volunteers, partnerships, fundraising, budgets, external relations and the overall visitor experience. Above all, the Director of the Discovery Center is charged with delivering on the mission and goals of the organization in a fiscally sound manner and will represent the Discovery Center as its chief advocate and spokesperson throughout the community. This person plays a leading role, working closely with the CEO of Tampa Bay Watch, its Board of Directors and staff, in developing and articulating the strategic direction of the Discovery Center and implementing the resulting strategies and initiatives.
- Under the direction of the CEO of Tampa Bay Watch, the Director provides onsite leadership and direction over Discovery Center daily operations to maximize the visitor experience by ensuring the exhibition, programs, volunteer and intern programs and facilities are running smoothly, efficiently and in accordance with the Discovery Center’s mission and vision.
- Provide in-depth supervision, leadership, and coaching to grow employees to their fullest potential, maintain required staffing coverage, and ensure staff are meeting performance expectations and effectively executing Discovery Center processes.
- Successfully oversee and coordinate the activities of three Discovery Center departments: Visitor Exhibition Experience, Education/Programming and Eco-Boat classroom/tours, including prioritizing competing and changing priorities to ensure the very best and safest visitor experience and optimization of business operations.
- Serve as spokesperson and key advocate for the Discovery Center. Create and enhance the Discovery Center’s public image to expand awareness, interest and support. Establish strong partnerships in the community and with Tampa Bay area cultural and environmental organizations and tourism partners. Oversee and direct all operational financial activities and work closely with the CEO to prepare annual budgets, analyze financial data, maximize financial efficiencies and reduce costs. Provide monthly report of actual results and variances to budget.
- In coordination with the CEO establish and support strategic goals by defining objectives, implementing processes and evaluating outcomes for the Discovery Center.
- Exercise Discovery Center and Tampa Bay Watch core values and organizational best practices.
- Confirm all departments are complying with Tampa Bay Watch and Discovery Center policies, procedures, and protocols on a daily basis to ensure the organization meets and exceeds its standards of quality.
- Ensure compliance with all city, state and federal regulatory agencies.
- Respond and resolve visitor and employee issues in a timely and effective manner.
- Manage maintenance of the facility and develop strategies to optimize the building’s use.
- Manage and practice environmental sustainability methods for all operational aspects of the Discovery Center.
- Management and programming of the Point of Sale systems with respect to ticketing, retail items and membership purchases.
- Carefully and thoroughly manage inventory control to ensure optimal levels of merchandise, supplies, materials, and equipment are on hand at all times, while ensuring cost-effective procurement.
- Work cooperatively, diplomatically and effectively with St Pete Pier management, tenants, and city staff and with diverse public constituencies.
- Coordinate with Development Director of Tampa Bay Watch to plan and implement Discovery Center fundraising activities and seek sponsors for exhibits, programs and events.
- Identify and pursue appropriate grant opportunities.
- Oversee the creation of on-going educational components and hands-on activities to complement exhibits and programs. Collaborate with the CEO on concepts for new exhibits.
- Oversee the development of on and off-site programming for a variety of audiences to enhance the mission of the Discovery Center and the environmental and economic importance of the health of Tampa Bay.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Required Experience:
- 5+ years of successful industry experience as a public venue executive director, senior manager or director of operations, preferably in a non-profit setting, is required.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Will consider equivalent experience.
- Industry experience in cultural institutions, tourism attractions, hotels/resorts, publicly facing customer service teams, and/or restaurants strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency in managing public venue/museum/aquarium operations, including personnel matters.
- Demonstrated knowledge of marketing a public venue, customer and public relations, public speaking and audience development.
- Experience working for an environmental or marine-centric organization is a plus, but not required.
- Proven ability to provide strong leadership, vision and strategic direction, including development of strategic plans.
- Demonstrated skills in building, motivating, supervising and retaining high-performance teams, including paid staff, interns and volunteers.
- Expertise creating, maintaining, and supervising budgets and expenses while ensuring compliance and adherence to financial policies.
- Flexibility; willingness to adjust work days and hours, including weekends and evenings, to accommodate events, emergencies and leadership coverage as needed.
- A genuine passion and appreciation for the mission of the Discovery Center.
- A hands-on leader who leads by example and is willing to do all that is necessary to get the job done.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to professionally organize, present, and articulate ideas and information in an effective and understandable manner, both verbally and in writing.
- Exceptional judgment and critical thinking skills with the ability to exercise discretion.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable and innovative approach to business operations.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs. and occasionally engage in physically demanding work both indoors and outdoors.
Guest Services Associate
Discovery Center at the St. Petersburg Pier
Position Title: Guest Services Associate
Department: Discovery Center
Reports to: Discovery Center, Operations Manager
Location: St Petersburg Pier
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Under supervision of the Operations Manager with support from the Guest Services Lead the Guest Services Associate will create a memorable experience for all guests and members at the Discovery Center. Guest Services Associates will handle ticketing, sales, memberships, merchandise sales, giving tours, answering questions, and ensuring that all visitors have a great experience.
Physical Requirements: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to perform these physical movements: stand for extended periods of time; use hands to operate, activate, prepare, inspect, place, detect, and position objects; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear; walk. The employee occasionally is required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and lift, push, and/or move displays and other objects weighing up to 50 pounds around the Discovery Center. All employees will be expected to help with the daily upkeep and cleanliness of the facility.
Primary Responsibility: The Guest Services Associates are at the front lines of our operation and ensure that all members and guests have a positive experience in our facility. A positive attitude and high energy are needed to ensure that we maintain a fantastic atmosphere each day in a year-round operation.
- Maintains good communication with co-workers and guests alike, maintains a positive attitude that contributes to a fun and productive work environment
- Properly greets and welcomes visitors by being attentive, helpful and courteous
- Sells daily and group tickets, memberships and merchandise through the POS system and maintains daily records and follow proper cash handling instructions
- Responsible for balancing POS receipts for their shift
- Learns and demonstrates knowledge of all ticket options, merchandise, programs and special events
- Receives merchandise, prices items, restocks product and stores goods
- Provides exceptional guest service while performing day to day operations
- Answers questions, provides directions and educates guests regarding the Discovery Center, Tampa Bay Watch, the Pier, St. Petersburg and upcoming events at the Discovery Center
- As directed, books group tours for the Discovery Center
- Gives tours, answers phone inquiries, assists guests, members and volunteers
- Stocks merchandise and supplies, cleans and contributes to the overall cleanliness of the facility
- Performs other duties as assigned
- High school diploma/GED is required
- Completion of a satisfactory DCF Level II Background Screening
- Experience working with a small team in a high volume guest-focused environment preferred
- Positive attitude that contributes to a fun and productive work environment
- Basic computer skills
- Ability and willingness to work weekends and holidays
Familiarity with coastal ecosystems is helpful but not required. A passion for the environment highly desired. Health insurance, life insurance, and retirement savings programs are available to full-time employees.