Open positions at Tampa Bay Watch
Guest Services Associate
Discovery Center at the St. Petersburg Pier
Position Title: Guest Services Associate
Department: Discovery Center
Reports to: Discovery Center, Operations Manager
Location: St Petersburg Pier
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Under supervision of the Operations Manager with support from the Guest Services Lead the Guest Services Associate will create a memorable experience for all guests and members at the Discovery Center. Guest Services Associates will handle ticketing, sales, memberships, merchandise sales, giving tours, answering questions, and ensuring that all visitors have a great experience.
Physical Requirements: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to perform these physical movements: stand for extended periods of time; use hands to operate, activate, prepare, inspect, place, detect, and position objects; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear; walk. The employee occasionally is required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and lift, push, and/or move displays and other objects weighing up to 50 pounds around the Discovery Center. All employees will be expected to help with the daily upkeep and cleanliness of the facility.
Primary Responsibility: The Guest Services Associates are at the front lines of our operation and ensure that all members and guests have a positive experience in our facility. A positive attitude and high energy are needed to ensure that we maintain a fantastic atmosphere each day in a year-round operation.
- Maintains good communication with co-workers and guests alike, maintains a positive attitude that contributes to a fun and productive work environment
- Properly greets and welcomes visitors by being attentive, helpful and courteous
- Sells daily and group tickets, memberships and merchandise through the POS system and maintains daily records and follow proper cash handling instructions
- Responsible for balancing POS receipts for their shift
- Learns and demonstrates knowledge of all ticket options, merchandise, programs and special events
- Receives merchandise, prices items, restocks product and stores goods
- Provides exceptional guest service while performing day to day operations
- Answers questions, provides directions and educates guests regarding the Discovery Center, Tampa Bay Watch, the Pier, St. Petersburg and upcoming events at the Discovery Center
- As directed, books group tours for the Discovery Center
- Gives tours, answers phone inquiries, assists guests, members and volunteers
- Stocks merchandise and supplies, cleans and contributes to the overall cleanliness of the facility
- Performs other duties as assigned
- High school diploma/GED is required
- Completion of a satisfactory DCF Level II Background Screening
- Experience working with a small team in a high volume guest-focused environment preferred
- Positive attitude that contributes to a fun and productive work environment
- Basic computer skills
- Ability and willingness to work weekends and holidays
Familiarity with coastal ecosystems is helpful but not required. A passion for the environment highly desired. Health insurance, life insurance, and retirement savings programs are available to full-time employees.
Discovery Center at the St. Petersburg Pier
Please, no phone calls.
How to Apply:
Please send a resume, cover letter, and a letter of recommendation via email or mail to the contact below.
Tampa Bay Watch
Attn: Sarah Rubin
100 2nd Ave North, #240
St. Petersburg, FL 33701
Position Title: 2020 Summer Internship with Tampa Bay Watch’s Discovery Center
Department: Discovery Center, Environmental Education
Location: St Petersburg Pier
The Environmental Education Internship at Tampa Bay Watch’s Discovery Center will provide the potential intern with practical learning experience and knowledge of informal conservation and environmental education in a science center setting.
Intern duties and tasks may include the following:
- Intern will be trained on the methods and techniques of environmental education. There will be weekly and/or monthly assignments.
- Intern will perform educational animal encounters and outreach with the public while promoting environmental awareness and wildlife conservation.
- Assist the Education Coordinator and Associate Education Coordinator in the daily and weekly set-up, clean up, and facilitation of each program.
- Interns may be trained on general husbandry of the center’s aquariums and handling and training of all education animals, including invertebrates.
- Assist in the coordination and facilitation of special events at the Discovery Center
- Design and implement environmental projects, programs, and games using the approved curriculum.
- Must be 18 years or older
- Eligible participants are students who are enrolled in or recently graduated an accredited college or university.
- Have excellent communication skills and enjoy working with all ages, especially children
- Demonstrated interest in working with children, visitors and animals
- Must be self-motivated, energetic, creative, adaptable and have the ability to work in a team environment.
- A driver’s license is required as is proof of health insurance
- CPR certification is preferred
- Background Check, which includes fingerprinting, will be required, but paid for by the Discovery Center.
- Must be willing and able to work with children of varying ages, as well as adults, in a professional manner.
- Must be able to take and follow directions to maintain a safe work environment for personnel, visitors, and the animals at the center.
This internship is unpaid. This internship may provide college credit, with approval from the university and professor. Intern will be responsible for all transportation costs and personal health insurance.
Estuary EDventures Education Internship
Marine and Education Center, Tierra Verde, FL
Tampa Bay Watch seeks environmental education interns to assist the Estuary EDventures program with Tampa Bay area school field trip experiences and/or summer camps. Duties include: teaching students of various ages, species collection, and program and aquarium husbandry support. This internship is designed for individuals seeking experience in informal education or environmental/marine sciences. Positions are unpaid and academic credit is available.
- Must be seeking or have earned a degree in environmental studies/science, biology, marine biology, education, or a related field.
- Must be reliable, flexible, responsible, take initiative, and act in a professional manner at all times.
- Must be comfortable in and around the water, handling marine animals, able to lift up to 25 lbs. unassisted, and capable of spending long hours in various outdoor conditions.
- Experience with public speaking, working with kids, and/or aquariums preferred.
Fall/Spring Internship Requirements:
Hours: Two weekdays, 9:00am-2:00pm
Fall/Winter Season: September-January (Application deadline: August 20)
Spring Season: January-May (Application deadline: December 15)
Summer Internship Requirements:
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm
Summer Season: June-August (Application deadline: April 20)